Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Step It Up with Hot Buttered Rum!

If you are looking for info on the Saturday April 14 event, CLICK HERE.

CLICK ON THE PHOTOS TO SEE ENLARGED PHOTO


Step It Up has created yet another new opportunity for me. I just spent the past four hours listening to Hot Buttered Rum. What a phenomenal group! Their sound is great; great harmonies; fantastic instrumentals; great improv... Well, there is much I could say.

One specific great element of this band is the social messages they are carrying in their songs and practices. Specifically, they are supporters of the Step It Up 2007 campaign. Their management contacted me about coming to staff a table at their event at the University of North Carolina-Asheville tonight. I did. Jennifer Rennicks of Southern Alliance for Clean Energy brought me the new banner. I handed out over 50 flyers and spoke with many who were interested and said they would attend on Saturday. I even spoke with a person "connected" to Congressman Heath Shuler's office about the Congressman stopping by on Saturday. I am still hopeful.

Well, the band announced three times from the stage about Step It Up, our local event and even stepped out of the norm and invited the audience to gather around the stage following the concert to be a part of the Step It Up movement! It was great! I later asked the band to take a photo of us with the banner. I wanted to send it along to the national Step It Up headquarters as a way of saying thanks. It was they who knew the band and made this local promo happen. My thanks also to Liz and Molly - organizers of Hot Buttered Rum for making the logistics work and to Chris, their bus driver, for all of his assistance and photos.


1 comment:

liz_cunnigham said...

Philip- GREAT WORK!!! Let me know when you have more pics- I'll be interested in using them on our new webpage promoting Musicians for Change that HBR is apart of!! Woo hoo!!
~Liz (the connector from Bioneers)